Many types of headache exists frontal headache, occipital headache, tension headache and depending on the location, severity & other factors, it can be diagnosed and treated accordingly. Migraine is a type of headache with severe theobbing pain on just one side of the head. Including the area behind ones eye (retro – orbital pain) many people who suffer from migraine experience area. It is one of the most severe type of headache and can disable patients for hours to days.
It is known to start in early adolescence or adulthood. It is occurs in various stages prodrome occurs headache & post drome. It is not necessary that everyone may experience all the phases. The severity & intensity of headache various from patients to patients.
This is the phase before the actual headache and sort of a warning given by the body symptoms in the phase include mood changes, constipation, neck stiffness, increased urination & thirst
- This is not very common. Majority of the people who experience migraine headache experience it without the aura. Symptoms of aura are related to one nervous system i.e eye & brain. These includes seeing flashes of light, bright spots distorted vision, touch sensation, vision loss, pins & needles sensations, hearing noises
- The frequency, severity and direction of the migraine various from person and also from episode to episode
- One sided headache is the characteristics feature
- Associated with nausea, vomiting, increased bowel movements
- Photo sensitivity
This is the phase after the attack. One may fell tired, weak and other may felt elated Also, few people experience confusion, moodiness, dizziness & weakness.
Consult a doctor
One must keep a track of frequency of the attacks and also the events associated so as to know the common triggering factors associated. If the frequency is high or it is associated with inability to perform daily activities, then one needs to consult the doctors.
Every person needs to find their own set of triggus & avoid them
- Stress, sun , sleep, salty foods are associated
- Hormonal changes, OCP, HRT can cause headache in same
- Food additives, alcohol & vasodilatos
Senotomin is the prime hormone as during the attack the hormone drops. Also in some women drop in estrogen is associated with the attack & thus associated with menstrual cycle.
The key to prevention is maintaining a steady healthy lifestyle. Include regular exercise, healthy diet, reducing stressful events and most important avoiding the triggers. Maintaining a balance is the most crucial aspect.
Many treatment options such as over the counter NSAIDS, triptans and other vaso constriction are available. Also people getting recurrent headache may take some prophylays after consulting the doctors.