Do you suffer with a frequent condition of Dry mouth or have constant thirst?
In medical terms, it is known as xerostomia and is referred to as a condition in which the salivary
glands in your mouth don’t make enough saliva to keep your mouth wet. It is more than a
feeling of being thirsty and usually leads to a dehydrated, or dry, feeling in your mouth. Not just
this, but a few symptoms, such as rough tongue, mouth sores, and cracked lips can be expected
in its initial stage.
Saliva is a must for humans to moisten and cleanse their mouths and digest foods too. But at
times, some drugs can reduce its amount in your mouth, hence causing an uncomfortably dry
mouth situation for you. If there’s no saliva in the mouth, then the tissues can become irritated
and inflamed. Therefore, increasing your chances of developing an infection, tooth decay, and gum
What Causes Dry Mouth?
There are various reasons as of why we have a dry mouth and how when we don't make
enough spit (saliva), our mouth gets dry and uncomfy. Luckily, numerous medications can help
against dry mouth, but first let's know what causes it –
- The side effect of specific medications: Dry mouth is a typical symptom of certain medicinal or
non-medical medications, including drugs used to treat mental disorders or allergies, asthma
etc. It can likewise be a reaction of muscle relaxants and tranquilizers.
- The side effect of specific illnesses and diseases: Dry mouth can be a reaction of restorative
conditions, such as HIV/AIDS, Alzheimer's infection, diabetes, sickliness, cystic fibrosis,
rheumatoid joint inflammation, hypertension, Parkinson’s sickness, stroke, and mumps.
- The side effect of certain medicinal treatments: Damage to the salivary organs, the organs that
make saliva, too can decrease the measure of salivation created. For instance, the harm could
originate from radiation to the head and neck, and chemotherapy medicines, for tumors.
- Nerve damage: Dry mouth can be an after effect of nerve harm to the head and neck zone
from damage or medical procedure.
- Dehydration/ Parchedness: Conditions that prompt drying out, for example, fever, extreme
perspiring, regurgitating, loose bowels, blood loss, and burns can cause dry mouth.
- Surgical removal of Salivary Glands
- Lifestyle. Smoking or chewing tobacco can influence how much saliva you make and cause dry
mouth. Breathing with your mouth open for a considerable measure of time can likewise add
to the issue.
- Aging. As we get old, the dry mouth becomes a part of our lives and a lot of older people
experience it to a greater extent. What triggers dry mouth in old peeps? Well, the use of
certain medications, changes in the body’s ability to process medication, inadequate
nutrition, and having long-term health problems, are the usual cause of dry mouth.
- Recreational medication use. Methamphetamine use can make serious dry mouth and harm
teeth, a condition otherwise called “meth mouth” Marijuana additionally can cause dry
Complications caused due to Dry Mouth are –
If you don’t have enough saliva and develop dry mouth, it can lead to:
1. Plaque, Decay (Tooth) or any other gum disease
2. Yeast infection in your mouth (thrush)
3. Sores in the mouth or Cracked/Chapped Lips
4. Lack of nutrition due to chewing and swallowing issues
What Are the Symptoms of Dry Mouth?
Normal indications include:
1. A sticky, dry feelings in the mouth
2. Constant thirst
3. Wounds in the mouth; bruises or split skin at the sides of the mouth; broken lips
4. A dry feeling in the throat
5. Burning or shivering sensation in the mouth and particularly on the tongue
6. A dry, red, crude tongue
7. Issues talking or inconvenience in the tasting, biting, and gulping
8. Roughness, dry nasal sections, sore throat
9. Awful breath
With the world gaining efficiency on daily basis, one needs to keep up with the health factor as
well. Which is why staying regularly in touch with your healthcare experts is an ideal step to
take. We at Lifeline Laboratory provide each and every patient personalized care with the help
of our expert doctors to ensure better health for you. If you too have a condition of Dry Mouth
or have any other health concern, then make sure to get in touch with best path lab